Saturday, January 23, 2010

Storms

Thank you, California, for sharing your storms with us Arizonans.
Just kidding, I know you didn't do it on purpose...Plus, sharing is caring.

They're saying it was our worst storm since 1896. Yeah, that's not a typo--eighteen ninety-six. I got lucky; no flooding, no tornadoes. But those around me weren't so lucky. A tornado touched down further north and flooding was all around the area. My city got about 3 inches of rain from the storm. Other cities around here got up to 5 inches. To put that in perspective, the total rainfall from 2009 was a little over an inch and a half. Granted, it was a really dry year, but yeah...

We never get tornadoes. Tornadoes scare me! So when we were under tornado watch and then tornado warning, boy was I scared. I made a camp in the bathroom for over an hour and listened to the radio for weather updates. Thankfully, the tornado that touched down was a little way away from me. Flooding is worrisome also, but not as scary as a tornado. But I didn't get any flooding either. A home in Cave Creek wasn't so lucky and is being washed away by flooding. Another city in Arizona was completely flooded. The entire city. Flagstaff...poor Flagstaff. They got a lot of snow. A LOT. 45.7 inches. That's almost 4 feet of snow in one snow storm. I read that normal snowfall for the entire month of January is around 2 feet. In Yavapai county there was flooding and a little boy got swept away by the flood waters. Crazy weather. Our entire state was under a state of emergency.

But it's over now. Thank goodness it's over now. I'm supposed to take a day trip to Flagstaff on Thursday. I suspect there will still be snow when I get there. I haven't been to Flagstaff in a few years and I'm excited to go back. Last time I went, it was just so peaceful. I'm looking forward to a little bit of peace and quiet and snow to spend some time contemplating.

More art going on around here, too. I made another one and it didn't turn out so nice. I'm going to try to fix it. I have a list going of people to give them to. These are the two most recent ones I've completed successfully. I really really like how the first one turned out.

No comments: