While I was there, a woman from the "Next Step" studio came to talk to me. The "Next Step" studio is another studio run by Art Awakenings artists who have graduated the Art Awakenings program. It's a different kind of setting, in that you have to rent a space there and provide all of your own materials and assist in running the studio.
Anyway, the woman came to ask me if I would participate in the advisory board. I told her that I'm starting school and it would have to coordinate with my schedule. She said that could be arranged and that nothing was set in stone yet. So I told her I'd consider it. But then later in the night I realized that I really shouldn't take on another responsibility. Here I am, getting ready to start school, which will be a full-time responsibility. I'll have to do a full-time externship at the end of my program, so I won't have any spare time. I'm still facilitating the Art Awakenings Alumni group (which I really don't want to do). I have counseling appointments and doctor appointments and it won't be too long before I'm working. I have a lot of things I have to do to accomplish self-sufficiency and I certainly can't be bogged down with extra responsibilities that I don't need or care about.
And when I thought about that last statement, I realized that I'm to the point that I want to separate myself from Art Awakenings. I appreciate what they've done for me and there will always be a special place in my heart for that place and that time in my life, but I'm ready to move on. The "Next Step" is a great idea, but it's not MY next step. I'm ready to be done with Art Awakenings, at least for the most part. I even think I'll be stepping down from coordinating the alumni group within the next few months. I have a new vision for my life and, unfortunately, Art Awakenings doesn't have any major part in my new vision.
No comments:
Post a Comment