It doesn't take long after I've made the decision before I start recognizing the possible consequences. Sure, maybe the Pell grant will cover all of my school expenses and I won't have to worry about the money issue there. But today I found out that I'm going to have to do a full-time externship for six weeks. That's working 40 hours per week for six weeks. I couldn't handle 30 hours for two weeks! If I fail the externship, I will fail the program and if I fail the program, I will have to pay back my Pell grant. 40 hours...
One of the questions during the enrollment process was if I had any medical problems. I told him I have type 2 diabetes. That's important because of the possibility of me passing out from low blood sugar. (I've had low blood sugar a lot lately.) I thought about mentioning the mental illness, but he said medical so I wasn't sure. When I got home I looked through the paperwork I had signed and that paper said, "physical or emotional problems that might negatively affect my progress in my educational program or participation in clinical or extern activities, both as a student and upon graduation." Hmmm...emotional. Then my wondering is, do I bring that up now? On one hand, it's probably pretty important. On the other hand, it might change whether I can go to school there. And then the other question is, do I want it to change whether I can go to school there?
Impulse control. I need more impulse control. Of course, it would have helped if I'd gotten all of this information ahead of time so I could better think things over.
No comments:
Post a Comment