Yesterday I had more good news. I went to an orientation for Vocational Rehabilitation. VR is a program that helps people with disabilities return to work. They provide a lot of services, including paying for schooling. I was hoping they'd be able to pay the portion of school that wasn't covered by the grant I got. Unfortunately there's a bit of a waiting list and I probably won't get in until it's too late. My new hope is that I get in by the time I do my externship because they can provide me with a job coach and that would be helpful for that full-time work. If it doesn't happen, I will at least get in the program at some point and be able to get a job coach and maybe some other services when I get a job after school is over.
There's a lot of other things out there to help me, too. Magellan has programs to provide help with computers and computer training (don't need that, but good for some people), substance abuse counseling (don't need that either), peer support (that might be helpful at some point) and they work with a company called ABIL (Arizona Bridge to Independent Living) which can help me figure out my options for working while on Social Security.
I looked at the information provided to me about working while on Social Security and it seems that they have some pretty good incentives. I won't go into all of them, but I think my favorite and most comforting one is that if, within three years, you find that you can't work enough to support yourself your case will get expedited and you'll get back on Social Security. Three years will be long enough to find out if I'm able to sufficiently support myself. Oh and one other thing that was really comforting to me is that you can buy into Medicare and Medicaid if you're not able to get insurance any other way. That's been a big worry of mine--health care. Granted, that part could change with all the health care reform going on but for now it's good news.
One other thing--counseling. I'm so impressed and happy with my new counseling (who isn't so new anymore). She really seems to care about me and my treatment. She says she's seeing some progress with me. Right now we're having a problem getting insurance to pay her. And yet she continues to see me because she doesn't want to interrupt my treatment. That really says a lot about her and her dedication.
No comments:
Post a Comment