Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blankie

It's not finished yet, but I have it and it's mine for the week. We're working on a collaborative quilt-collage in my art therapy sessions. We didn't really know what we were doing or where we were going with this, but it evolved into an amazing project.

We started out picking out some fabric. I couldn't decide between three fabrics, so we got small pieces of each one. She asked me what I wanted to make with the fabrics. Maybe a pillow or something small like that. We started cutting the fabrics for a pillow. I insisted on using every bit of each of the fabrics. I didn't want to share. We each took one side of the pillow and started sewing. While we were sewing, I felt a sense of calm and it was easy to open up and talk about the things that were on my mind. It wasn't as intense as being face-to-face with someone and watching their subtle reactions as you talk.

She suggested embellishments, so I picked out some buttons and sewed them on. My side was complete too quickly. She got an idea for a handmade applique--a little sunshine. When I saw that, I decided to follow suit and try my hand at some applique. I bought myself some more fleece and got set making little appliques for my side of the pillow. When we got going, we realized the pieces were big enough for a small quilt. So that's what it turned into. She started embroidering words into her side of the quilt. I kept coming up with new pictures for my side. We finished the collage part of the quilt a few weeks ago. Then we each got sick and the project was on hold (to avoid germ-i-fying the quilt). Last week we picked it back up and it's slowly coming together. Right now it's still in two pieces.

When we finished our last session and the quilting was put away, I was still feeling extremely depressed. I asked what I was going to do. She suggested I take the pieces of my quilt home until our next session. And for some reason, it has really helped. I haven't let go of her side of my blankie all night. And I haven't been in crisis all night.


Her side:
My side:

No comments: