Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's a New Day

I met a guy. (I know...again?) He's very nice and very interested in me. At least, he seemed interested. He hasn't called me yet. But he also knows I'm busier in the beginning of the week.

I have a new book. Well I don't have it yet, but I'm borrowing it until I get my copy delivered. It's called "The Creative Journal" by Lucia Capacchione. It's all about drawing and writing your life. It goes through different sections of writing and drawing exercises:

  • Where you're at, where you're coming from
  • Who you are
  • How you are with yourself
  • How you are with others: people, places, and things
  • What your higher self knows
  • Where you're going

Each section has nine exercises. I've already started the exercises in a brand-new sketchbook journal that I decorated.

Very soon I will be taking on a new responsibility at Art Awakenings: a writing group. At the Phoenix Art Awakenings studio, it's called "Writer's Corner." I like that name, but I think we need a different name for our studio. I'll have to get some input on what that name should be. Or maybe it should just be Writer's Corner.

My artwork is selling. It's in demand. Today I showed my charms to the Art Awakenings marketing director and she said the children's museum wants them and she's going to take some to an exhibition in Tucson. She told me not to sell any more for 50 cents--to sell them for at least a dollar. The people at the children's museum want to sell them for $3.99. That's their mark-up price. So the marketing director wants me to sell them for $2 and let $1 be the lower end of my range. I trust her opinion on that. She is the marketing director, after all.

So much going on. Can I really do this all? Suddenly I feel very overwhelmed, taking on so many responsibilities. These are some of the commitments I have

  1. Personal exploration through journaling
  2. Working as a studio assistant 15 hours per week
  3. Attending Writer's Corner at the Phoenix studio (this commitment takes up 5 hours of my Tuesdays)
  4. Developing Writer's Corner for our studio
  5. Painting a mission statement sign for the front lobby (this painting is 2 ft. by 4 ft. and is proving to be quite an undertaking)
  6. Preparing to work in the kids program (this will be 4pm-6pm, three days per week)
  7. A possible new relationship

Wow. It all crept up on me, one at a time. What have I gotten myself into? This is why I can't go to school this year...

2 comments:

Gail said...

wowsers, things are moving along for you, fabulous!
Embrace it all and move with it. A good life is a slowly moving river kept in balance by small moments of great things and challenges to make us change with the tides...but always flowing...flow baby flow :)
Good luck, or as they say here in Italia "IN bocca al lupo" in the mouth of the wolf lol

Beth said...

Thanks!
It's amazing how fast all this is happening. And even with all the stress, I'm pretty happy. And I'm almost at my second month of no cutting...today is day 58!