Friday, December 26, 2008

A Scary but Awesome Dream

I don't remember how it started. The first thing I remember is getting a phone call about a little boy who needed my help. I had been helping children in his situation for some time, but I was still learning. These children would literally turn into terrifying monsters that could kill people. You (and they) never knew when it would happen. Each child had a different thing that would change them back into a child.

I had just finished with my last child when I got the call. (I forgot everything that happened with the last child, but I know that the process with that child was in my dream.) I waited at the shoreline for the family to come. I had other things to do. I had to gather food. Someone else was with me waiting. Finally the child and his family arrived. The person waiting with me had to leave and all but one family member left. (It was a small child, his sister, who stayed.)

The first part of our treatment was observation. The little boy was locked in a safe room with unbreakable windows. At first the boy just sat around, doing nothing. Then, after a while, he morphed into his monster counterpart. His method to morph him back was to throw water on him. Almost as soon as he changed into the monster I ran inside and threw a cup of water on him. I did this several times. I was keeping track of how often he changed and how long it was between episodes.

It was long into the night and the sister was still with me, but she was sleeping on and off. Another episode started and I let the boy go for a few minutes, watching how he dealt with it on his own. He got worse by the minute, so I ran in to throw water on him. By the time I got into the building he had escaped the room he was confined to. I had to get to the sink and the cup, but I had to do it without getting killed by the monster. I finally made it to the sink and threw water on him. He morphed back into a little boy and, just as in all the other episodes, he fell into my arms crying as I comforted him. The lady who worked with me (my teacher of sorts) walked in at that point. She had seen just the end of the last episode. As she walked in she said, "Now it's time for the next step. We turn off the light."

At this point I began to realize I was dreaming and I was waking up. My first thought was, Wow, this was a scary dream. My second thought was, Whoa, this was a cool dream!

No comments: