Another First Friday, this time with my own display. Not for sale, those babies. They're adorable and I love them. I could never part with them. But maybe I could make some duplicates. They wouldn't be exactly the same, of course. But I'm not ready for that. It's too overwhelming. Too demanding. So for now the babies aren't for sale. The people are wandering from one corner to another, eyeing the artwork, and then they stop at the case. Pointing and smiling, they look at each baby and read my sign:
"Artist: Beth C.
Each one-of-a-kind baby is carefully sculpted using oven-bake polymer clay. Colored clays are mixed to create a variety of flesh tones. After the babies are sculpted and cured, hair is painted with acrylic paint. Once completed, the babies are glazed to a semi-gloss finish. Blankets, hats and headbands are hand-crocheted.
Babies are not for sale at this time."
As they read the last sentence, they look disappointed. My brow furrows as I think of the situation I have created. But am I ready to face the demands of creating pieces for the general public? Perhaps I could take special orders. So, with a trembling in my knees, I ask for another sign:
"Taking special orders
$25-35 (depending on design)
$10 Deposit"
And did I get orders? I don't know yet. Do I want orders? I don't know yet.
2 comments:
OH my giddy aunt they look gorgeous! I love the lil blankets and things you added.
I am sure ppl were disapppointed, how wouldnt be?!
Did you enjoy the experience though?
I sort of enjoyed it. I have a hard time being around so many people. And at there are thousands of people walking through the artwalk every month. So for part of the time, I hid out in a quiet corner by myself.
Post a Comment