The words on the paper are like a chart, showing my mood on any given week. Every week I participate in a writing group at the Phoenix Art Awakenings studio. If anything shows me, it's my writing. Even given the writing prompts that don't seem so telling, I create a piece that is a mirror of how I feel. Limericks, for example:
March 4, 2008 -- The prompt given was to create limericks using the words windows and gates.
The windows were dirty with snot
And my drapes were stuck in a knot
I sounded real proud
As I called out aloud
"You know that you're gonna get caught!"
I knew of a yard full of flowers
That had lots of magical powers
They kept the gates closed
And stuck up their nose
Until they got flooded with showers
March 25, 2008 -- The same prompt with the words bags and closets.
The bags are under my eyes
I guess that's not a surprise
I stayed up all night
A terror to fight
And now that thing's bigger in size
It comes out of closets by day
And always gets in my way
It makes me so sad
It makes me feel bad
What it is, I really can't say
And other pieces...
March 8, 2008 -- Write a poem or short story using the line "At first I thought I saw it..."
At first I thought I saw it
A candy in my hand
But then it disappeared
Where did my candy land?
Is it in the bushes
In the park across the way
Did it roll beneath the fence
Or fall into the hay
Is it underneath that garbage can
Or in between these rocks
Did it dribble like a basketball
And slip into my socks
I simply cannot find it
All these places I have scanned
Oh there's my piece of candy!
It was in my other hand
April 8, 2008 -- Write a poem or short story about photographs.
I shredded all my memories
They're bits and pieces now
The photos of the happy times
I no longer allow
They're gathered in a trash bin
I haven't tossed them yet
But my anger and frustration
Are all that they will get
I haven't got a childhood
I made it disappear
No longer will I have to see
Those times of which I hear
I shredded all my memories
They've nowhere left to go
They're hiding in that trash bin
And no one has to know
May 13, 2008 -- Choose an object. Write a physical description of that object. Write a simile of the object. Then write what you'd like that object to do. (I chose the word fairy.)
Flower dress in pink sparkles. Ringlets in honey brown. A tender, tiny face and two hands gingerly holding a blue butterfly. You're like a drop of water, so soft and fragile, graceful and free. Fly away with me to a magical and carefree world, where possibilites are limitless and times stands still.
And so you can see how my writing reveals my thoughts, my feelings, my turmoil or silliness.

No comments:
Post a Comment