Thursday, April 3, 2008

To Linda -- A poem

Linda was my caseworker when I was in foster care. She started working with me just before my 17th birthday. Eight years later, we still keep in contact. She has seen me grow up. In many ways she's like a mother to me. She listens to me. She gives me advice. She treats me with respect. She encourages and supports me. When I aged out of the foster care system at 21, I thought I would lose her. But I didn't. I still talk to her at least once a month. I haven't seen her since my 21st birthday and this year I may get to see her again! To celebrate, I wrote her a poem:

My days are so bright
When I talk to you
Your time
Your dedication
How you've shown me
Faith

My heart is so happy
When I talk to you
Your support
Your encouragement
How you've helped me
Grow

My life is so full
With you a part of it
Your words
Your commitment
How you help me feel
Whole

No comments: