Thursday, June 21, 2007

Better

She's doing art therapy with me and I love it! It's amazing to see how my subconscious mind comes up with these images that seem to correspond to my life in uncanny ways. She had me draw a bridge. So I drew a bridge. I didn't think anything of it until I was finished and we were analyzing it. My bridge was long and narrow, rickety and made of wood. It was attached at each side to a small island-looking piece of land. Under the bridge was a massive body of water. And for some reason I felt the need to put a troll with my bridge. He was standing at one end. I put my little stick-figure on the bridge and an arrow showing which direction he was headed. He was near the beginning. Another thing she noticed was that there were no handrails on my bridge...

DBT. I told her I'd try to make it work. But it just didn't fit. Maybe it was Dr. Ruiz's style. Maybe it was just DBT itself. I went in yesterday feeling up to the challenge. I was open, I was communicative, I was attentive...and it was better. It still wasn't her. But it was better. Dr. Ruiz thinks DBT just might not be for me. I guess I do better in a talk-therapy session than in a lecture-therapy session. And I still don't like her. But it's getting better.

No comments: