Everyone wants a piece of my time right now. I think once I start my externship, things will calm down a bit. I figure that's a good excuse to say no to everyone and everything. But for now I think the demands have increased simply because of the preparation for my externship.
First and foremost in all this preparation is my schoolwork. Not only do I have to keep up with my classwork and hope and pray to keep my 4.0 GPA for just one more sequence, but I also have to study for my certification exam and hope and pray I pass it. This sequence is lab skills and as I said in my previous post, I'm not doing so well in the hands-on portion. It's sad, really. Makes me want to quit that much more, but I'm trying to keep going--only four weeks and three school days left.
The next biggest thing I have to do is get things in order with the Alumni group. I won't be attending the group for the five weeks during my externship and in that time, we're expecting some new people joining the group. I have some hopes to pass off one of the meetings to someone else, someone new who knows the people coming in. That likely won't happen for a few months still, but I'm trying to at least get everyone settled for while I'm gone.
Then there's appointments. Voc Rehab, psychiatrist, therapist, primary care physician and waiting on a neurologist referral. I'm super glad that I have therapy twice a week now--that's not stressing me out at all. It's all the other appointments that are getting to me. In preparation for my externship, I scheduled an appointment with my psychiatrist for the Friday before externship is supposed to start. I'm just a little smarty-pants, huh?
Church wasn't a huge demand on me until they set me up as a visiting teacher. Now I have my companion calling me asking about my availability. My availability = practically 0. My companion decides that we'll go visiting teaching later in the evening during my wind-down time after therapy next week. That just might suck. Why? Because some days therapy drains me and I just need that wind-down time before going to school the next day. But what can I do about it? Nothing.
The last two demands I have are errands and friend-time. Every Saturday is still my grocery day, then I have to squeeze in any other errands I need to run during the rest of the day. Sometimes I get lucky and get to combine friend-time and errands. Friend-time is good, but at the same time...it feels like I have to etch out some time from my super busy schedule just to see a friend. Not that I have many friends left, but I've also had a lot of time meeting up with my mom for one reason or another.
It's because of all these demands that part of me can't wait to start externship. As I said, it will give me an excuse to say no to everything. Of course there's still part of me that worries I won't be able to do the hands-on at my extern site, but we'll just hope that I catch on quick enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment